pkgconfig question

John Calcote-2

Re: pkgconfig question

Robert Schwebel
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:53:08AM -0600, John Calcote wrote:
> I'm interested in finding out more about the pkgconfig project --
> specifically, how well it's received by the Autotools community.

It is :-)

> As is usual in the open source world, most of the information on this
> project assumes you already know a lot about it -- not necessarily about
> the technical details, but rather about the way it's used by the
> community, the generally feeling about it, etc.
>
> I don't know much about pkgconfig yet. I have a rough idea of what it's
> for and how to use it, but I don't know if I SHOULD be using it or not.

You should.

> Don't get me wrong here - this isn't a question about personal taste.
> I'm interested in understanding its true place in the world. :0)

Please read 'man pkg-config'.

rsc
   Handelsregister:  Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9

Re: pkgconfig question

Bob Friesenhahn
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, John Calcote wrote:

> I'm interested in finding out more about the pkgconfig project --
> specifically, how well it's received by the Autotools community.

Pkgconfig is usually a good thing but sometimes it becomes a curse due
to removing control from the user.  For example, evaluation of
multiple pkgconfigs is usually in some arbitrary order in the
configure script but one of them might refer to an include/library
directory which is also home of a package (perhaps an older verion)
that the user does not want to use.  This has struck me a number of
times and it is impossible to fix without manually editing the
configure script or even operating system directories.

It is the modern variation of "DLL hell".

Bob