m4 check for OpenSSL does not consider multi-arch setups

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

m4 check for OpenSSL does not consider multi-arch setups

victor jimenez
In distributions that use multi-arch setup (such as Debian 7) libssl.a is
installed in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. That renders the m4
macro ax_check_openssl.m4 useless for such systems since the library is
only looked for in the following paths:

ssldirs="/usr/local/ssl /usr/lib/ssl /usr/ssl /usr/pkg /usr/local /usr"

Boost is also installed in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, but the m4 macro for
Boost takes care of it in the following way:

100 dnl allow for real multi-arch paths e.g. /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
Give 101 dnl them priority over the other paths since, if libs are found
there, they 102 dnl are almost assuredly the ones desired. 103
AC_REQUIRE([AC_CANONICAL_HOST]) 104 libsubdirs="lib/${host_cpu}-${host_os}
$libsubdirs" 105 106 case ${host_cpu} in 107 i?86) 108
libsubdirs="lib/i386-${host_os} $libsubdirs" 109 ;; 110 esac

My knowledge of m4 and autoconf's internals is very limited, so it would be
great if someone with the required knowledge could have a look at it. But I
may be able to come up with a solution if I receive some guidance.

Thank you,
Victor
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m4 check for OpenSSL does not consider multi-arch setups

Eric Blake-3
On 08/16/2014 02:21 PM, victor jimenez wrote:
> In distributions that use multi-arch setup (such as Debian 7) libssl.a is
> installed in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. That renders the m4
> macro ax_check_openssl.m4 useless for such systems since the library is
> only looked for in the following paths:
>
> ssldirs="/usr/local/ssl /usr/lib/ssl /usr/ssl /usr/pkg /usr/local /usr"
>

Thanks for the report.  However, autoconf is not the owner of
ax_check_openssl.m4, so you'll have to redirect your report to the
author of that file if you want anything to change.

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org


signature.asc (551 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m4 check for OpenSSL does not consider multi-arch setups

Mike Frysinger
On Sat 16 Aug 2014 14:27:48 Eric Blake wrote:

> On 08/16/2014 02:21 PM, victor jimenez wrote:
> > In distributions that use multi-arch setup (such as Debian 7) libssl.a is
> > installed in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. That renders the m4
> > macro ax_check_openssl.m4 useless for such systems since the library is
> > only looked for in the following paths:
> >
> > ssldirs="/usr/local/ssl /usr/lib/ssl /usr/ssl /usr/pkg /usr/local /usr"
>
> Thanks for the report.  However, autoconf is not the owner of
> ax_check_openssl.m4, so you'll have to redirect your report to the
> author of that file if you want anything to change.
they can be found here:
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf-archive-maintainers

however, i think this m4 should just be punted.  you should update your code
to use the pkg-config files that openssl now provides.
-mike

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m4 check for OpenSSL does not consider multi-arch setups

cheako
Mike Frysinger wrote
> however, i think this m4 should just be punted.  you should update your
> code
> to use the pkg-config files that openssl now provides.
> -mike

I disagree, this m4 and others like it standardize the use of thee libraries
outside of system installations.  For example if one wanted to test against
a source tree of openssl.  If every project implemented "–with-openssl"
there may be differences in the implementation and/or spelling that would
cause users having to re-learn how to ./configure for a given project.

I think it's important to standardize the way openssl is found and activated
across most projects.



--
Sent from: http://gnu-autoconf.7623.n7.nabble.com/Gnu-Autoconf-Bugs-f14224.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: m4 check for OpenSSL does not consider multi-arch setups

Mike Frysinger
On 21 Oct 2017 01:18, cheako wrote:

> Mike Frysinger wrote
> > however, i think this m4 should just be punted.  you should update your
> > code to use the pkg-config files that openssl now provides.
>
> I disagree, this m4 and others like it standardize the use of thee libraries
> outside of system installations.  For example if one wanted to test against
> a source tree of openssl.  If every project implemented "–with-openssl"
> there may be differences in the implementation and/or spelling that would
> cause users having to re-learn how to ./configure for a given project.
>
> I think it's important to standardize the way openssl is found and activated
> across most projects.
it is standardized via pkg-config.  or are you suggesting every single open
source library out there get a m4 macro thrown into autoconf-archive just so
people can do their own weird non-standard things ?

pkg-config makes all of that go away.  install your local stuff into a local
tree, point pkg-config at that path, and it all just works.
-mike

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment