Quantcast

autoreconf v2.69 with subdir-objects: ./configure creates directory 'src/tests/\$(top_srcdir)'

autoreconf v2.69 with subdir-objects: ./configure creates directory 'src/tests/\$(top_srcdir)'

Neels Hofmeyr
Dear autoconf,

I am observing a bug with `autoreconf -i`.
To my/our knowledge, this is not due to an error in
our configuration but a genuine bug from 'subdir-objects'.

The symptom: after running ./configure, I find a directory
  src/tests/\$(top_srcdir)

(The string that looks like a variable that is to be expanded is written to the
file system in verbatim, as the directory name.)

The weird dir contains only a .deps dir with dependency files for the src/*
files (not for src/tests/* files as one might expect).

If I remove 'subdir-objects' from configure.ac, the weird dir is not created.

Reproduction recipe on debian stable:

▶ autoreconf --version
autoreconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, <http://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html>

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

▶ git clone git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-iuh
Cloning into 'osmo-iuh'...
remote: Counting objects: 5945, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (5945/5945), 12.11 MiB | 8.97 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (4991/4991), done.
Checking connectivity... done.

▶ cd osmo-iuh/

▶ sed -i 's/^PKG_/dnl &/' configure.ac

▶ autoreconf -i
aclocal: warning: couldn't open directory 'm4': No such file or directory
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
configure.ac:5: installing './compile'
configure.ac:5: installing './config.guess'
configure.ac:5: installing './config.sub'
configure.ac:7: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:7: installing './missing'
src/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'

▶ ./configure
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... no
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver @FILE support... @
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for mt... mt
checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... (cached) yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating libosmo-ranap.pc
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating src/hnbap/Makefile
config.status: creating src/ranap/Makefile
config.status: creating src/rua/Makefile
config.status: creating src/tests/Makefile
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating include/Makefile
config.status: creating include/osmocom/Makefile
config.status: creating include/osmocom/hnbap/Makefile
config.status: creating include/osmocom/ranap/Makefile
config.status: creating include/osmocom/rua/Makefile
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing src/tests/atconfig commands

▶ ls -F src/tests/
atconfig        Makefile       test_common.h    test-hnbap.ok  $(top_srcdir)/
dummy_cn_sua.c  Makefile.am    test-helpers.c   test-ranap.c
hnb-test.c      Makefile.in    test-helpers.ok  test-ranap.ok
hnb-test.h      test_common.c  test-hnbap.c     testsuite.at

Observe '$(top_srcdir)/' in file listing.

▶ ls -aR src/tests/\$\(top_srcdir\)/
src/tests/$(top_srcdir)/:
./  ../  src/

src/tests/$(top_srcdir)/src:
./  ../  .deps/

src/tests/$(top_srcdir)/src/.deps:
./   hnbap_common.Po   hnbap_encoder.Po  rua_decoder.Po  rua_msg_factory.Po
../  hnbap_decoder.Po  rua_common.Po     rua_encoder.Po

Please excuse my not trying to verify the bug with the latest sources. To my
knowledge, this bug applies to the latest released version (2.69) and I hope it
will not be an effort to you if the bug is already known to be fixed.

Thank you for your time!

~Neels

(I am not subscribed to any autoconf ML, hence a Cc to my sender address is
appreciated)

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <[hidden email]>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93

Re: autoreconf v2.69 with subdir-objects: ./configure creates directory 'src/tests/\$(top_srcdir)'

Neels Hofmeyr
Dear autoconf,

I have received no reply yet, so am taking the liberty to <bump>.

BTW, is there a way to verify that this report has reached someone,
besides waiting for an email reply?

Thanks!

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <[hidden email]>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93
* 10559 Berlin, Germany
* Geschäftsführer / Managing Directors: Holger Freyther, Harald Welte

Re: autoreconf v2.69 with subdir-objects: ./configure creates directory 'src/tests/\$(top_srcdir)'

Eric Blake-3
On 02/17/2016 03:55 AM, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Dear autoconf,
>
> I have received no reply yet, so am taking the liberty to <bump>.
>
> BTW, is there a way to verify that this report has reached someone,
> besides waiting for an email reply?

You can check the list archives online, to see that it was delivered:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2016-01/index.html

> Thanks!
>
> ~Neels
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 02:40:38PM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
>> Dear autoconf,
>>
>> I am observing a bug with `autoreconf -i`.
>> To my/our knowledge, this is not due to an error in
>> our configuration but a genuine bug from 'subdir-objects'.
>>
>> The symptom: after running ./configure, I find a directory
>>   src/tests/\$(top_srcdir)
This is a known automake bug, not caused by autoconf; that may explain
why you haven't seen much response on the autoconf list, but I don't
know if there are any active maintainers on the automake list that have
suggestions on how to work around it, or on when a fixed automake will
be available (or if it is already available).  A quick search found
this, though:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2015-12/msg00001.html

>> (I am not subscribed to any autoconf ML, hence a Cc to my sender address is
>> appreciated)

Reply-to-all is general policy on GNU lists, for precisely that reason.

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266

Re: autoreconf v2.69 with subdir-objects: ./configure creates directory 'src/tests/\$(top_srcdir)'

Neels Hofmeyr
Eric,

you've clarified just about all of my questions.
Many thanks for your reply!

~Neels